Pages

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Stage 3 - Weapon Design




I spent a long time trying to really push this design.I felt that perhaps a simple door composed of a simple slab of metal would be boring to look at for hours on end. I also didn't want it to dominate the viewers viewpoint whilst steering the avatar. Obviously the bottom design here is a prime example of something I wanted to avoid, it was my first concept. The top 2 designs where best examples of my finished design. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how this weapon would interact with the avatar in animation. I set requirements for myself being:

1. It should be fairly compact as not to hinder viewer line of sight
2. Its width needs to be narrow enough that when the character runs, his elbows do not collide or conflict with the weapon.
3. It should be large enough to look like it could squish bugs with.
4. Large enough to give the character a sufficient attack radius.
5. Incorporate some way for this item to be used as a platform

Obviously I worked out fairly early that some of these design requirements conflicted with one another. Therefore I experimented with the idea of the bulkhead being able to animate. This way I could make sure that it would fit all these requirements.

My ideal finished design would have had the spaceman turn the handle of the bulkhead to expand the panels. This would make it larger in order to give him a larger attack radius and a bigger platform.

No comments:

Post a Comment